HEEEY YOU!!

HEY YOU!

Yes you. I have to tell you something REALLY important!

Okay, are you listening?

If you like my blog PLEASE let me know and PLEASE spread the word!You can comment, follow, tell your friends, strangers, tweet about it, link it in your Facebook profile, make flyers and pass them out, write the url in the sky with a plane, change your friends' homepages to it, have it tattooed on your face, send out a mass text, write a letter to your local congress, eat your vegetables, make a tribute band, start a chain letter, spray paint it on a building, spell it out with alpha-bits, use your wits to build a machine and brainwash the general public, make a trendy internet video, whisper it in a horse's ear, brand it on a cow, enslave the human race, make it your bible, tell it on the mountain, start a fan club, respect your elders, do a flash mob, call random numbers to tell them about it, make a piece of art using only posts from this blog, tweet it again, start a webcomic, make a board game, post it on reddit, signal boost on tumblr, make a t-shirt, start a cult, make a crappy flash game, write a book with an extremely similar situation, call your in-laws, spread it on the grapevine, stitch it in a baby's blanket, tell your kids, tell a little birdy, you know whatever!

Just please let me know!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Of Clones and Stick Figures

If you haven't watched Orphan Black,

Um...Why not? It's amazing. Go! I'll wait.

...

...

...

You back? Never left? That's cool. Whatever...

Anyways a few days after I finished Orphan Black I wondered if there was any way I could get involved with the fandom. I mean with Warehouse ending I just wanted to make sure I was a part of something else. My problem was, and always had been, I really don't have much to offer. I mean I can draw, but not people. I'm capable of writing but I really don't have the time during the school year. I was about to give up when an idea came to me.

In an attempt to reach out to the Warehouse fandom, I had created a blog called poorlydrawnwereherse. It was essentially comics made up of really poorly drawn stick figures. each comic had it's own little joke that would poke fun at the characters or the show. The fandom had really liked it but Warehouse fans are few in the grand scheme of things. Not to mention most fans are shippers and I have no ships in Warehouse 13. I didn't particularly prioritize the blog and it kind of fell to the wayside.

I figured Orphan Black's larger fanbase would probably like a similar blog. I knew I could get a large following but it would take some time and a lot of comics before that would happen. My eventual goal was to be featured on the official Orphan Black tumblr. With this in mind, I gave each character a stick figure equivalent, wrote a few comics and launched poorlydrawnorphanblack.

There were a few miscalculations however.

1. Orphan Black is a larger fanbase, that is true, but I didn't quite realize HOW large. The show averaged about 400,000 viewers an episode for the first four episodes and the numbers only went up from there. (The Renew Warehouse 13 online survey averaged about 4,500 viewers)

2. Despite it's massive size, The Clone Club is rather tightly knit. Meaning, stuff travels way faster than in the Warehouse 13 fandom.

Within the first 24 hours my little blog had 5 posts and 74 followers. As my tiny queue drained more followers trickled in to tell me their thoughts.


I figured it was a success and drew a few more comics. And then on the third day of the blog's existence I got a message. Essentially is told me to go check out the Orphan Black tumblr. Here is what I found.


I was beyond shocked.

I had made 17 posts at this point, this reblog was WAAAAAAAY ahead of my schedule.

Not to mention this was not JUST a reblog. It was a shout-out!

Suddenly I didn't have a hundred people to keep happy. The number skyrocketed. Not to mention the positive responses


started coming in

 
LIKE CRAZY!

As days went by I got more requests in 24 hours than i'd seen in my entire YEAR running poorlydrawnwereherse! Here is the stats for the last month.

Tumblr couldn't handle all the new followers they should all be new.
Yeah. That graph is showing NOTES.

The followers are still coming in each day.* And the requests follow.

I had never anticipated such an amazing reaction to my idea. It's mind boggling.

I've officially deemed this my job, after school of course**, and I don't get free-time until I've worked on it. And I plan to work on it every single day. I may lose a little sleep, but for a fandom and a show this amazing?

It's worth it.


*In the hour or so it took to write this post I gained two followers
**Today was actually the first day of school. You might get a post about the first two days tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you doing what I think you're doing? No? Just scrolling past?

I guess that's cool too.

It would be great if you like...commented though. It means a lot.

Just a quick hello or something, PLEASE????